Advanced SUP Instructor Jericho Beach
Learn to effectively teach stand-up paddleboarding to new paddlers. Over the two days of this program, participants will learn to develop appropriate course content for beginners and gain hands-on experience teaching SUP techniques. As an advanced paddleboard instructor, you’ll be certified to conduct Paddle Canada Basic and Advanced SUP courses and to certify paddlers at those levels.
This course will be led by Kristy Wright Schell of Stand Up Paddle Vancouver. Kristy brings a wealth of teaching, coaching, and stand-up paddleboarding experience to each instructor course she delivers. Through starting and operating Stand Up Paddle Vancouver, Kristy has helped thousands discover the joy and fun that comes with challenging your balance and your body. Additionally to being a certified Paddle Canada Instructor Trainer she competed the past 2 years as part of Team Canada’s SUP & Surf Team at the World Championships and PanAm Qualifiers.
Assisting Kristy will be Ecomarine’s Peter Allen. Peter brings with him over four years of experience teaching stand-up paddling in English Bay, as well as racing and touring throughout BC. He’s an Advanced Stand Up Paddleboard Flatwater and Stand-Up Paddleboard Touring 2 Instructor, working towards his Instructor Trainer certification. Peter’s energy and passion for paddleboarding led him in 2017 to complete (and place 3rd in SUP!) the 2017 Yukon River Quest, the longest paddling race in the world.
2019 Dates & Times:
Advanced SUP Instructor Course
- May 18/19, 9am-5pm
- Optional Advanced SUP Skills Tune Up Session
- May 17, 8:30-10:30am
- Two-day program: $399 plus GST
- Includes board and gear rental
- Add-on: Advanced SUP Skills Tune Up Session on Friday: $50 plus GST
- Paddle Canada Advanced Stand Up Paddleboard Skills (offered Thursday, May 3, before the Instructor course) or equivalent skills. Please contact us to determine your eligibility without Advanced SUP Skills certification.
- Instructors are expected have experience beyond that of the Advanced Flatwater SUP course
- Registered as a Paddle Canada Instructor Candidate ($99.99 annual membership fee)
- 14–16-hour First Aid course and CPR
- 18 years of age or older