Level Two Series
Paddle Canada Level Two Sea Kayaking Skills Series is a gateway to an exciting progression of sea kayak touring and overnight trips in the many amazing yet challenging Canadian kayaking destinations.
Participation in this two weekend plus one evening program will allow you to develop and assess your skill and comprehension necessary for proficient overnight kayak touring in moderate sea conditions. Includes instruction and assessment of touring skills, risk assessment, bracing, maneuvering strokes, combined strokes, sustained paddling, introduction to rolling and an overnight camping trip.
Weekend 1 includes two full days (9am-4pm) at Jericho Beach working on skills, strokes, and knowledge to prepare for Weekend 2 overnight camping trip. Navigation, advanced strokes, quick and efficient re-entries including rolling will all be reviewed and assessed. Strategies for paddling over longer distances and in more challenging condition as well as camp craft skills, as they apply to kayak camping, are also included in the Level 2 series.
New in 2017: One evening between the weekends will be spent reviewing and preparing logistics and equipment for overnight camping trip, as well as reviewing trip & meal planning.
There will be readings and an assignment between weekends, as well an exam during the program.
Dates & times:
June 2017 Series
- Sat & Sun June 3/4 | 9 am – 4 pm at Jericho Beach
- Thursday June 8th | 6 – 9 pm at Jericho Beach
- Sat & Sun June 10/11th | Overnight trip from Swartz Bay in southern gulf islands
September 2017 Series
- Sat & Sun Sept 16/17 | 9am – 4pm at Jericho Beach
- Thursday Sept 21th | 5 – 8 pm at Jericho Beach
- Sat & Sun Sept 23/24th | Overnight trip weekend
- Jericho Beach, Other
- 2 days + 1 evening + 2 day overnight trip – $629 (use coupon code: NOKAYAK )
- Discounted kayak, gear and wetsuit rental for the duration of the course – $100
- You are responsible for providing your food and personal camping equipment
- Transportation or ferry fees to course location are not included; however, carpooling may be an option. Kayak transport to launch or ferry terminal will be provided for those choosing to rent a kayak.
- Paddle Canada Level 2 Skills certification available for available for an additional $15 fee; click here for more information.